June 2020 Content Wrap-Up
As I sit here in a hotel in Woking, UK after 2 days at the Commsverse 2022 event at Mercedes-Benz World, and following a delicious Korean BBQ meal with good friends, I am looking forward to heading back home and getting some rest. With international travel opening back up, and events, in general, getting underway once again, I hope to see more friends and community members in the coming months. My role is a little different than in the past, with more focus on partners and alliance relationships than customers, but I’m still very much involved in all-things SharePoint, Teams, OneDrive, and Yammer, and am looking forward to getting back out there.
June followed the same pattern of earlier months, including #P2Pnow and #O365hours shows, #MVPbuzzChat and #CollabTalk Podcast interviews, and the long-running #CollabTalk TweetJam, of course. Additionally, I was able to take a few days off with my middle son Nicholas and drive from Lehi, Utah (south of Salt Lake City) to the Sacramento area in Northern California for a family reunion, which was a much-needed decompression. There were cousins who I had not seen in more than 25 years, which is far too long away from people that I love. I can’t believe it’s been that long. As for Nick, he hadn’t been back to CA since 2005, when he was 7 years old. Long overdue road trip. We drove down via Highway 80 through Reno, and spent a day in San Francisco, and then drove across the Golden Gate Bridge for lunch and to visit the redwoods before heading back to Sacramento. Instead of Hwy 80 back home, we took the “lonely highway” of Hwy 50 home through central Nevada and Utah. It earns its name.
For July, there are still a few plans up in the air. I may be heading east for a few days of planning at HQ, with many event plans underway for the second half of the year. Until I have more to announce on that front, let’s review content for June:
Articles on various business topics
I’m trying to get back into the habit of adding notes from my various readings and podcast listening to OneNote, and then quickly translating them into blog content. Still writing a lot about governance and productivity, but I am slowly expanding. There will be more partner-centric content in the second half of 2022 as I help to build out AvePoint’s channel strategies, but as always I will try to hit a broad range of topics.
- Creating a Balanced Approach to Productivity [buckleyPLANET]
- How Search Drives Collaboration Adoption [buckleyPLANET]
- The Principle of Legitimacy [buckleyPLANET]
- Investing Beyond the Cloud [buckleyPLANET]
- Creating a Culture of Productivity [buckleyPLANET]
- The Secret to Adoption is Good Planning [buckleyPLANET]
- The Inherent Risks of Hybrid Environments [buckleyPLANET]
Personal Branding series
Something that has been burning a hole in my OneNote blog post backlog has been this series on personal branding. I’ve talked with my content team at work about expanding on the material and building an ebook…which I may attempt to tackle later this year. Lots of other content projects officially on the calendar, including ebooks on Microsoft Viva, on M365 Calendars (across every workload), and from some fellow MVPs, material on Tasks in M365 and overall Microsoft Teams management. Tons of good stuff on its way.
- Creating a Personal Branding Strategy [buckleyPLANET]
- Personal Brand Strategy: Events [buckleyPLANET]
- Personal Brand Strategy: Social [buckleyPLANET]
- Personal Brand Strategy: Content [buckleyPLANET]
- Personal Brand Strategy: Differentiation [buckleyPLANET]
- Personal Brand Strategy: Defending Your Brand [buckleyPLANET]
If you are an MSP, SI, or VAR – especially within the Microsoft ecosystem – you need to check out this video and blog series that Sam Valme and I publish weekly (every Thursday) on the AvePoint blog. We hit major channel topics and program changes, and are also sharing sales and marketing guidance.
- How to Grow Your Business Through Collaboration Security [AvePoint | YouTube]
- How to Improve Vendor Quarterly Business Reviews [AvePoint | YouTube]
- What is a “Good” Co-Marketing Plan Between Partners and Vendors? [AvePoint | YouTube]
- How to Measure Your Vendor Multiplier [AvePoint | YouTube]
- How to Improve Your Content Marketing as a MSFT Partner [AvePoint | YouTube]
This twice-monthly interview series continues to provide a deep dive into targeted content. In July, I’ll be joined by good friend and former MVP, Erica Toelle, to discuss Microsoft Purview. Other guests lined up include RD Sharon Weaver, MVP Joanne Klein, and newly-minted dual MVP Anj Cerbolles. Don’t miss our broadcasts on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month at 11am Eastern.
- How the Lack of Digital Skills Are Hampering Adoption [AvePoint | YouTube]
- The State of Collaboration in the Public Sector [AvePoint | YouTube]
Another action-packed tweetjam with tons of insights from the community. If you are not yet participating in these one-hour Twitter-based community discussions, why not? Get plugged in. If you have questions about participating, or would like to be included formally on one of our expert panels, please let me know. In Just, the topic will focus on the Microsoft partner ecosystem following the company’s once again virtual partner conference, Microsoft Inspire. The tweetjam always provides interesting insights and takeaways from these events. Not to be missed.
- The Maturity of the M365 Content Lifecycle [buckleyPLANET]
- Community Feedback on the M365 Content Lifecycle [buckleyPLANET | YouTube]
A group of MVPs, RDs, and MCTs got together to answer some pressing questions from the community. Here is their story:
- Do the new Power Pages replace Sway? #M365AMA [buckleyPLANET | YouTube]
- Can we use Microsoft 365 as a RADIUS server to authenticate users? #M365AMA [buckleyPLANET | YouTube]
- What are the biggest challenges for new users of Microsoft 365? #M365AMA [buckleyPLANET | YouTube]
- Can I login to an AAD-joined virtual desktop from a non-joined device? #M365AMA [buckleyPLANET | YouTube]
- Is it possible to backup notebook content for Teams before I lose access? #M365AMA [buckleyPLANET | YouTube]
- Can I create recurring meetings in Teams without an organizer? #M365AMA [buckleyPLANET | YouTube]
One of my favorite community contributions is doing these MVP interviews. Most of these people I am meeting for the first time, and many have become good friends. If you are an MVP or Regional Director, or even a Re-Connect (former MVP) and would like to participate, please reach out to me. And for the community, these short interviews (typically 15-20 minutes long) are a great way to get to know MVPs from around the world and the topics and technologies that they are most passionate about. Available in video and podcast format.
- #MVPbuzzChat with Diana Carolina Torres [buckleyPLANET | YouTube | Podcast]
- #MVPbuzzChat with Fabian Bader [buckleyPLANET | YouTube | Podcast]
- #MVPbuzzChat with Denis Molodtsov [buckleyPLANET | YouTube | Podcast]
- #MVPbuzzChat with Ville Gullstrand [buckleyPLANET | YouTube | Podcast]
I am always happy to participate in other podcasts, and was invited to join the InfoBeans team’s podcast, Express Over Espresso, to talk about the employee experience. Check it out. Also here is my summary of May content.
- Express Over Espresso Podcast: Managing the Employee Experience [InfoBeans]
- May 2022 Content Wrap-Up [buckleyPLANET]
And to wrap things up, here are my music-related entries for June. I am trying to do more of this personal content and share my extensive music collection with the community. As a long-time 80’s new wave collector, I’m always happy to make playlist recommendations. 🙂
- Blue Plate Special: The Psychedelic Furs [buckleyPLANET]
- Five from the Modern Mix [buckleyPLANET]
- Five Favorite Songs [buckleyPLANET]
- Five More Obscure Albums [buckleyPLANET]
And with June wrapped up, this marks 10 months of daily blog posts here on buckleyPLANET! It’s an effort, folks, I am not going to lie. And it’s not just the 30 posts a month on here, but also the video and audio recordings, and other videos and events for work. It’s a lot of content — but I am going strong, and am looking forward to hitting the 1-year mark at the end of August. Until then, happy content-ing!