October 2021 Content Wrap-Up
Why do I painstakingly create these monthly collections of blatant self-promotion, you ask? I’ve found them to be a great way to keep track of what I have published each month for historical purposes, as well as to keep everything straight in my brain. So many of my blog posts, and even some presentations that I give, are more or less a conversation in my own head as I talk through the issue and try to put myself in the shoes of the customer, the manager, and other key stakeholders. That’s why you often see a flurry of posts on a related topic, as they are often a continuation of one train of thought, broken into more consumable chunks.
For October, there was more thinking and writing on the topics of governance, migration, and security. Sufficeth to say, you’ll see more on these topics in November. And as always, more interviews with fellow MVPs every Monday, and a slate of new guests for the #CollabTalk Podcast which publishes every Friday.
In this prior month, I was not involved in any AvePoint webinars — but I participated for the first time in the aMS Southeast Asia 2021 event on the topic of task management (info below), and sat through a Microsoft-hosted Content Services Partner Summit, which was an excellent preview (and in-depth technical discussion) for this week’s Microsoft Ignite Conference, which kicks off today. If you have not registered for this FREE event, be sure to sign up today!
In November, I’ll be participating in a post-Ignite panel discussion for the Minnesota M365 User Group on Nov 8th (register), as well as the Inside Microsoft teams LIVE event on Nov 9th (info). On top of that, I’ll be presenting at Teams Day Online 4 on November 17th (register), will be launching a new channel-focused series of videos and resource-laden blog posts on the AvePoint blog and YouTube channel, and will have some announcements about the AvePoint Community Champions program. Can’t wait to share more!
But for now, here is the content I produced for October:
As mentioned above, here are the links to my Inside Microsoft Teams and #aMSSEA contributions:
- Inside Microsoft Teams: Connecting Microsoft Teams & OBS [buckleyPLANET | YouTube]
- Connecting Microsoft Teams & OBS [TechCommunity Bonus Clips]
- Do I Use Planner, Project Online, or Azure DevOps? [buckleyPLANET | YouTube | Slideshare]
#CollabTalk TweetJam, #O365hours, #M365AMA
Part of my monthly rhythm of business is the tweetjam, twice-monthly #O365hours series (be sure to subscribe for reminders of this show), and the monthly #M365AMA panel discussion where we (attempt to) answer questions from the community.
- We Are Living in a Multi-Tenant Multi-Cloud World [buckleyPLANET]
- Community Feedback on Multi-Tenant, Multi-Cloud with Adam Ball [buckleyPLANET | YouTube]
- October 2021 #M365AMA Summary [buckleyPLANET | YouTube]
- Why Small Businesses Should Invest in Collaboration Technology w/ Shadeed Eleazer [AvePoint blog | YouTube]
- The Role of Democratized AI Using Power Platform’s AI Builder w/ Paul Soliman [AvePoint blog | YouTube]
- A Deep Dive Into the Evolution of Microsoft Lists w/ Anj Cerbolles [AvePoint blog | YouTube]
Talking smack about Security
As I work my way through a backlog of blog posts and other content within the cavernous reaches of my OneNote history, I’ve been sharing posts related to security — mostly from an admin and business user perspective. Hope you find them insightful.
- How do you defend against a user error? [buckleyPLANET]
- How rogue employees endanger your data [buckleyPLANET]
- The Risks of Modern IT [buckleyPLANET]
- What is a security breach in Office 365? [buckleyPLANET]
- What is an Office 365 service error? [buckleyPLANET]
Governance + Migration
Governance and migration continue to be my meat-and-potatoes topics. My roots with SharePoint and the M365 stack began with migration and expanded into governance, and these topics continue to play a large role within my career…and so expect more on these topics in the future.
- Who Actually Owns Microsoft 365 Governance? [AvePoint blog]
- Reduce Your Requirements [buckleyPLANET]
- A “Connected System” Approach to Collaboration [buckleyPLANET]
- What does productivity look like in your organization? [buckleyPLANET | LinkedIn]
- Office 365 Governance ≠ Data Governance [buckleyPLANET]
- What happens if an error is made during an Office 365 migration? [buckleyPLANET]
- Designing for Operational Success [buckleyPLANET]
- Blueprint Approach to Corporate Governance [buckleyPLANET]
- Getting Help in the Move to Microsoft 365 [buckleyPLANET]
More #CollabTalk interviews
I am enjoying the current interview cadence, with podcast drops every Friday and Monday. The Monday drops are from my #MVPbuzzChat interview series, where I get to know fellow MVPs from around the world and talk about their journey to becoming MVPs, and their current technology passions. Always interesting. And every Friday, be sure to check out the formal #CollabTalk Podcast drops with various industry experts on a broader array of topics within the scope of “the convergence of technology, business productivity, and collaboration culture.” Historically, these have been focused on the Microsoft ecosystem, but I’m expanding beyond that, talking with CEOs and founders of companies with broad business and technology backgrounds.
- CollabTalk Podcast | Episode 29 with Dirk van Reenen [buckleyPLANET | podcast]
- CollabTalk Podcast | Episode 28 with Joy Apple [buckleyPLANET | podcast]
- CollabTalk Podcast | Episode 27 with Shari Oswald [buckleyPLANET | podcast]
- CollabTalk Podcast | Episode 26 with….me [buckleyPLANET | podcast]
- CollabTalk Podcast | Episode 25 with Jon Levesque [buckleyPLANET | podcast]
- #MVPbuzzChat with May Alhajri [buckleyPLANET | YouTube | podcast]
- #MVPbuzzChat with Mike Weaver [buckleyPLANET | YouTube | podcast}
- #MVPbuzzChat with Shabaz Darr [buckleyPLANET | YouTube | podcast]
- #MVPbuzzChat with Ben Whitmore [buckleyPLANET | YouTube | podcast]
An area where I need to write more is around marketing and business leadership. I’ve been working my way back into reading one or two business books each month (as soon as I finish reading the Silmarillion for the hundredth time).
- The Importance of Social Capital [buckleyPLANET]
- Creating a “Remarkable” Marketing Strategy [buckleyPLANET]
- Q&A with Microsoft GTM Director at AvePoint: Christian Buckley [DynamicSmartz]
And as always, in addition to my monthly self-promoting content wrap-up, I also celebrated the 40th anniversary of Duran Duran’s 1st studio album and the release of their newest album, Future Past, by putting together a fairly comprehensive ranking of their 15 studio albums. Enjoy!
- Ranking Duran Duran Albums [buckleyPLANET]
- September 2021 Content Wrap-Up [buckleyPLANET]
And finally, just wanted to mention that I’ll hit my 31st wedding anniversary on Nov 30th. Pretty crazy to think about that. We met the summer of 1987 and our first date was a Duran Duran concert at Cal Expo in Sacramento, California. And she’s still my favorite person in the world.